Well….u must have got an idea by now what actually am I getting at ! Exactly, you got it right- obesity . It is one of the most common health problems faced by people these days. We all know the culprits too- sedentary lifestyle, lack of exercise, too much consumption of aerated drinks, untimely eating, lack of sleep and the list goes on…And the sad part is, despite knowing all this, we hardly manage to do anything about it.
The most important thing to keep in mind while trying to manage your weight is- there is no fixed diet as such to help you get rid of the unwanted fat. Every person has a unique body type and hence a particular diet suitable for a person may not be suitable for another. It is always advisable to consult a dietician before embarking on a particular diet. These are the general guidelines which everyone can follow without a hitch and they work in almost all the cases. The key is however, to pair them up with proper exercise and a healthy daily routine.
So guys, here is an overview of general dos and don’ts of dieting which will help you in managing your weight effectively. Let’s get started…
- The first and foremost comes the golden rule of dieting – Burn more calories than you eat, food equals energy, remember! But of course, what you eat is important too. Well, you need to cut back on cakes and cookies and not fruits !
- Eat breakfast, it’s a win-win !- And don’t skip any meals. When your stomach is empty, it secretes a hormone called ghrelin in excess, which makes you grab the nearest food. And I am sure you know how dangerous it is to grab a burger at such a time, right!
- Choose foods that are bulky – In other words, foods that are high in fiber , water or air, like high fiber fruits and veggies.
- Don’t avoid carbs , instead choose them wisely ! -You need to cut back on simple carbs like sugar, white bread etc., coz they are quickly turned to glucose by the body. Instead, go for complex carbs, like whole grain foods, fruits and veggies. They will keep you fuller for longer.
- Go for low fat foods if you must, but don’t cut off the fat altogether from your diet. Some fat like that in nuts and olive oil is actually required.
- Drink water…and plenty of it ! – Sometimes, its just the thirst and not actually hunger. Your body needs lots of fluids and while juices and beer and wines all do provide that fluid, they essentially provide unwanted calories too. Occasional visits to these guys are fine but, make water your best friend!
- Cut down on your portions -While it is not advisable to bring the food portions size drastically down, I would recommend slowly cutting on the portion size…do it little by little, and believe me, you won’t end up throwing this whole dieting thing out the window!
- Colorful is cool ! – While trying to watch your diet do keep an eye on what you eat too. Try to include foods in all colors in your diet, those colors actually signify the various nutrients you are going to get from that meal. Oh, and by the way, I mean natural colors!!
- Never, never fast!- Your blood pressure may drastically fall and eventually give you a heart failure. Also, there is a rebound weight gain as soon as you stop fasting.
- Don’t deny yourself the pleasure of your favorite foods in small portions once in a while. Coz if you do that, you are more likely to get frustrated and end up binging!
So guys, we wish you all the luck to head on with your new diet regime. We hope you found this interesting and useful. You are welcome to write any queries, comments, suggestions in the comment box below and if you like this post please do not forget to hit the like button and follow our blog and you will never miss a new post. Bye guys, hope to see you soon..here’s Dr Apoorva, signing out for today!